This course is suitable for installers, design engineers, project managers, field engineers, and anyone who works directly or indirectly with microwave radio antenna systems.
What pre-requisite experience do I need?
This course can be taken with no previous experience or course pre-requisites. It serves as a useful pre-requisite for anyone wishing to understand the basics of microwave fundamentals prior to taking any other Wireless course.
- To understand the basics of microwave transmission
- To look at different antennas available and selection of one type over another
- Installation of an antenna onto the tower
- Alignment and path loss
- Supporting infrastructures
- Connection of the transmission lines
- Testing and maintenance
- Lesson 1 Microwave Fundamentals- Transmission, wavelength, dBs, Frequency, Modulation, How antennas work.
- Lesson 2 Antenna Parameters - Link Lengths, Propagation, Polarization, Free Space Path Loss, Atmospheric Absorption, Antenna Gain, Antenna Half Power (3dB Bandwidth) Return Loss, VSWR, Radiation Patterns.
- Lesson 3 Choosing and Antenna - Antenna Selection, Link Requirements, Electromagnetic Environments, Capacity, Feed Assemblies, Shields and Radomes, High performance Antennas, High Capacity Antennas, Direct Radio Integration, Antenna Survival, Cost of Ownership
- Lesson 4 Antenna Assembly and Preparation for Installation- Site Survey, Declination, Equipment Check, Antenna Assembly, Safety on Site
- Lesson 5 Transmission Line and Pressurization Equipment- Transmission Lines, Types of Waveguide, Flanges, Pressurization, Dehydrators, Waveguide Installation
- Lesson 6 Transmission Line Fixings and Accessories - Hoisting Grips, Hangers, Cable Entry, Grounding Products, Weatherproofing Solutions.
- Lesson 7 Antenna Hoisting and Attachment - Antenna Installation, Hoisting, Support Steelwork, Wind Force
- Lesson 8 Antenna Path Alignment - Alignment, Antenna Path Loss, Transmission Line Loss, Compass Readings and Azimuth Markers, Path Alignment
- Lesson 9 Testing and Maintenance - Completing the Installation, VSWR, Test Equipment, Maintenance.
How will I learn?
You will study this course online, at your own pace and in your own time. The course is made up of a number of webcast lessons and assessments.
Successful completion will require:
Any level of pass in the overall assessment score.
Is this course right for me?
If you want to get to understand microwave transmission without getting into the design phase, this course will give you enough information to understand the basic principals of microwave antennas and what is involved in the installation process.
Upon successful completion you will:
Receive a certificate that will be self printed.
BICSI CECs: 2 Event ID: OV-COMMS-IL-1215-1
Certificate valid for 3 years
Estimated study time: 4h
Overall content duration: 3h 5m