The primary audience is CommScope partners, consultants and end users involved in detailed fiber specification, design, installation and project management who wish to understand the technology to a high level.
No pre-requisite knowledge is required for this course although knowledge of enterprise design or installation will be a useful background.
- Understanding fiber optic cabling technology and the theory behind it
- Ensure you, and those you are responsible for, understand the safety aspects
- Introduce CommScope cables and connectivity
- Overview the product portfolio with a specific look at Uniprise enterprise products
- Review design methodology for links and channels and review the supporting documentation and tools
- Understand indoor installation practices for splicing, pre-terminated products.
- Detailed look at the cleaning and testing requirements common to fiber optic systems and required for warranty support
- Introduction and Fiber Optic Safety – laser classification, common causes of accidents, laser precautions, tool safety, cable reel handling, chemicals.
- Transmission Theory – types, LazrSPEED, TeraSPEED, propagation, formulae, numerical aperture, TIR, Refraction, Attenuation – intrinsic and extrinsic, macro and microbending, dB, dispersion, spectral width, MFD, chromatic dispersion, singlemode, multimode.
- Fiber Types and DMD – manufacturing fiber optic, consolidation, measurement process, nano scaling, mixing fibers, mode conditioning cords, multimode vs singlemode. LEDs, Lasers, DMD, TIA942, High Resolution DMD, EMBc, Preforms, MCVD, Launch correspondence, cost, Zero Water Peak (ZWP), ITU specifications, WDM.
- Cable Design and Installation – Environmental considerations, physical characteristics, identification, cable protection, loose tube, stranded dielectric, buffer tubes, OSP cable, self supporting, tight buffer, breakout cables, distribution cables, duplex cables, indoor armored, tracking, applications.
- Connectors and Hardware – connector technology, LC, SC, STII, keyed LC, other types of connector, adhesive termination, polishing, inspection, couplers and adapters. Fiber panels, splice options, wall mount, RFE floor enclosures.
- Pre-terminated Fiber Solutions – Applications, modules, cords, panels, MPO, gender, duplex polarity, ordering, implementation, installation MPO inspection, cleaning.
- Splicing – Safety, why splice? Fiber preparation, good cleaving, splicer types, principals of splicing, steps, PAS, V-groove, loss, tips for success, ARC.
- Fiber Solutions Design and Testing – Inspection, troubleshooting high loss, loss budgets, power budgets, insertion loss, loss calculations, test standards, CommScope guidelines and warranty requirements for testing, use of mandrels, Encircled Flux, OLTS Tier 1 testing, Testing MPO, documentation, OTDR tier 2, how it works, events, dead zones, loss and distance, ghosting, cords, testing correctly.
How will I learn?
You will study this course online in a self- paced format. The course is made up of a number of webcast lessons and online multiple choice assessments giving immediate feedback. It is supported by a number of videos and downloadable support documentation.
Successful completion will require:
Any level of pass in the accumulative overall assessment score.
Is this the right course for me?
If you specify, design, install or supervise fiber optic infrastructures of any kind and want to know more about how it works, which products to select how it fits together and how to inspect test and maintain it, then this course is for you.
Upon successful completion you will:
Receive a certificate and added to the CommScope student base.
BICSI CECs: 3 Event ID: OV-COMMS-IL-0416-4
This course qualifies for SCTE Recertification Units (8 hours = 1 RU).
Certificate valid for 3 years
Estimated study time: 8 hours
Webcast duration: 3h:45m